July 22, 2019

Amazon Prime app live

As anticipated, the new Amazon Prime app went live on Virgin Media V6 boxes this morning. It can be accessed through Apps or via the red button on channel 228. It's also promoted on the top banner on the Home and My Shows screens.
It works as you'd expect. If you already have an Amazon Prime or Prime Video account you enter your email and password. You then have to register the set-top box by entering the code given onto amazon.co.uk/mytv (the same palaver you have when logging onto YouTube for the first time) and you're in.
It's faster than the Panasonic and Sony Smart TV versions I have, both of which are little slow to load. Picture quality is excellent.
Personally, I've always found Amazon Prime's content a little weak. Films tend to compliment those on Netflix or Sky Cinema, although the rentals are better PQ than Virgin Media's own and some times cheaper, too. Amazon's own TV shows have disappointed me - a strong first season followed by a disappointing second seems to be the order of the day. Sneaky Pete, Goliath, and American Gods all start well but disappoint the longer you watch. Good Omens is good - hopefully they won't be tempted to go beyond the book.
But I can't complain. It's a good addition to the V6 apps and the integration with the V6 Search, Bookmarking and Series Link tools is most welcome.

3 comments:

Irishmanc said...

Nialli sorry but I disagree with you on the free content as there is quite a bit there in UHD. Unlike Netflix Amazon Prime is not just a video service but is used by Amazon customers for fast free delivery of orders from the Amazon site plus you also get access to Amazon Prime music all for £7.99 per month or you can take an annual subscription.
Netflix in the UK has now become a total ripoff as UHD is only available on one package which they have just increased to £11.99 per month, I've cancelled my Netflix in disgust.

Nialli said...

Sorry, I was talking about the content - I find Amazon Prime original shows disappointing, regardless of their picture quality. I don't have a 4k TV so I don't subscribe to the more expensive Netflix service.

Eddie Waring said...

I can only see UHD content on the Sony TV app, on my V6 it appears to only show content in HD, not UHD.